Friday, March 12, 2010

Top 10 TV Shows My Dad Watched in the 80’s

Yes it is all fun and games when you watch The Cosby Show or Thundercats growing up. However, when the lights are low and it is time for some serious TV, the 80’s really provided a medley of dramas. My parents watched all kinds of “programs”. That is the term my father used and I remember them. So here is my 10 TV Shows that My Dad Watched!

10. Hunter



Sgt. Rick Hunter (Fred Dryer)and Sgt Dee Dee McCall (Stephanie Kramer)are on duty in the drama Hunter.

9. Highway To Heaven



Starring the late great Michael Landon. The premise of this show was that Michael’s character Jonathan Smith was send down by the big man upstairs to help mortals overcome their issues and get back on track.

8. Magnum P.I.



Another Crime drama starring Tom Selleck as a cop named Thomas Magnum. The series takes place in Hawaii and really I think this great show was the inspiration for Dog The Bounty hunter to work in bail bonds.

7. Beauty And The Beast



Ok I will level with you that my dad didn’t watch this but I remember it so vividly like I bought the DVDs for myself last year and waited for the romance to ensue. Ron Perlman is Vincent the gentle but hideous beast that falls in love with Catherin who is played by the lovely Linda Hamilton. There is also some cop drama that goes on here as well.

6. Coach



The ABC television series that portrayed what it was like to pretty much be a gym teacher, I mean Football Coach. Craig T. Nelson stared as Hayden Fox a Coach that works for the same university as his daughter is attending. I guess the guy had a hard time coming to terms that his little girl was growing up which was the basis for most of the plot line.

5. T.J. Hooker



A crime drama that stared William Shatner who played a 15-year veteran of the force named T.J. Hooker. Another mega star included Heather Locklear as Officer Stacy Sheridan.

4. Knight Rider



David Hasselhoff is Michael Knight who works for a secret organization that gave him a really sweet car. K.I.T.T. Pretty much all Michael Knight does is sit in the car and let K.I.T.T. do all the work for him.

3. Golden Girls



Ok I believe in my heart that my dad just sat through The Golden Girls because my mom wanted to watch it. We have Blanche (Rue McClanahan), Sophia (Estelle Getty), Dorothy (Bea Arthur), and Rose (Betty White) who are golden agers living together. Enough said.

2. Matlock



Oh my goodness this brings back memories, right now all I can hear is the horn and piano intro! Ben Matlock (Andy Griffth) is a gray suit wearing man of fairness. Him and his team are always out to find out the truth.

1. MacGyver



I know this isn’t a surprise but my dad really loved this show. I mean Richard Dean Anderson played a guy who could do anything because his analytical sense was out of this world. MacGyver has really left it’s mark on the world being referenced in The Simpsons and many other cultural refinances.

No comments: