Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Top Ten Guiltiest Movie And Television Pleasures

When it comes to movies and television, we act hip and cool to the trends, but deep down inside, there are those certain movies and television shows that we hold dear to our hearts, regardless of what others may say or think about them. They are our guilty pleasures, and fear not - there isn't any real guilt that goes along with liking them, just an increased feeling of defensiveness when other people poke fun at them.

Without further ado, I present the movies and television shows that I have seen numerous times and still cause me to adhere to the couch for hours, even if I just said I'd come bail you out of jail in 20 minutes. (Oh hush, you're not going anywhere!)






10. The Emperor's New Groove

I think I spent a good 2 or 3 years watching and re-watching this fantastic animated movie about a spoiled Aztec emperor (David Spade - Awesome!) who gets turned into a llama and must depend on a peasant (John Goodman - Equally awesome!) to help him return to his former self. Throw in Patrick Warburton as the evil adviser's right hand man, and you've got a classic on your hands!






9. French Kiss

Maybe it was because I was taking French in high school at the time, or maybe it was the way Meg Ryan delivered her lines with that characteristic gusto, but my worn-out VHS copy of French Kiss can attest to the fact that I watched America's #1 sweetheart (at the time) over and over again as she tried to win back her ex-fiance's heart with the help of a French criminal/con man.






8. Much Ado About Nothing

I suppose I was a big fan of Shakespeare adaptations when I was younger, but none of them compared to Kenneth Branagh's film version of Shakespeare's comedy Much Ado About Nothing. Michael Keaton's performance, although small, is reason alone to watch this film! The Elizabethan language can be hard to understand, but subtitles should help you get around that.






7. Fiddler On The Roof

TRADITION!! It sounds weird, but I'm really interested in all things Judaism, so it's no surprise that Fiddler On The Roof is one of my favorite films to sit and watch all day. There's love, laughter, and lessons that anyone can relate to, as well as amazing musical numbers!






6. Elf

I don't know what it is about this movie. Maybe it's the large amounts of sugar that Buddy the Elf eats. Maybe it's his elf-out-of-North-Pole ways. Maybe it's in the way he says, "SANTA! I KNOW HIM!" It could be any number of things, but one thing's for certain: I love watching this movie anytime of the year!






5. Pride & Prejudice

There have been countless times I have had to sit and watch the A & E version of this beloved Jane Austen novel. These viewings, which I can only estimate as a bajillion hours a piece, never quite stuck with me because when doing a book report on the novel, I reported that all the sisters got married. (Spoiler alert! Not all of them do!) However, there's something about the Pride & Prejudice version starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen that's magical and easy to comprehend, but I feel it is the compactness of the story that endears this movie to me.






4. Pitch Black

For as long as I knew he existed, I had a bit of a vendetta against Vin Diesel. Blame The Fast and The Furious, but I thought he was an awful actor in a movie about cars. Enter Pitch Black, and I discover that Vin Diesel is an awesome action star with a great range of talents and abilities. Pitch Black is the type of movie that people who know me would be surprised to know I love. It's creepy, crawly, and peppered with just the right amount of goriness!






3. Band of Brothers

It doesn't matter how many times I see this fantastic mini-series, I always want to see it again. Unlike Saving Private Ryan, where I fast forward through the parts that make me feel sad, I watch each and every moment of this series. If there's a military holiday coming up, I know to start checking The History Channel for Band of Brothers so I can get my fix!






2. Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

These two television series go hand-in-hand with each other, so they share the same spot. Joss Whedon took everyday problems that young adults deal with and put a supernatural twist on them. I started watching Buffy around my sophomore year in high school, so it was relevant to my life - except the vampires, werewolves, and apocalypses - oh my! I've seen every episode of Buffy (and almost every episode of Angel), and my extensive knowledge of each separate episode and season propels me indefinitely to the status of geek.






1. Firefly

Another Joss Whedon creation! This series never made it past its first season, but that didn't stop its massive fan base from bringing it back from the television graveyard to life on the silver screen in the form of Serenity! I can't get enough of this series, and I own it on DVD, but I'll also watch it on TV because that is the only way you get to hear the special intros to each episode that aren't on the DVDs! For those who have never watched it, Firefly is best described as a western set in outer space. Sounds strange at first, but the story and the world it's set in will grab you and sit you in your chair until it's done entertaining you.





Well, there you have it! I've shown you my guilty pleasures, now let's see yours!

2 comments:

Jack Heath (author) said...

You have no need to be guilty about ANY of those. I, too, love them all.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, erm, why are you "guilty" about them? Buffy, Angel and Firefly are seen as three of the greatest shows from the past twenty years.